Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Looking Forward #1 - Deadly Premonition.

Wanted to do this on the new RE5 DLC. But, by the time this is out, It will have been released. Unless there is a delay..... (Capcom =/= EA, Capcom =/= EA, Capcom =/= EA)



Anyway less stupid, more forward of the sight internal.



So I ran across screens of the game Deadly Premonition about a year back and told myself "midgets? WTF?" and that pretty much ended my interest in the game right there. Not that I have anything against little people. Just these two had a "Murderous Moppets" vibe going on. And that's a bad thing.

However then I ran across this.
Yes from IGN. Also, she seems oddly happy
and now I can't wait for it to get released.

So yes, in my mind, Little people that bear a tenuous link (apparently being short and two of is all I need) too two irritating characters from a late night TV show = bad. Creepy doll, woman... thing with no eyes = good. Now if you are worried about my state of mental health..... Trust me. You are not as worried as I am....

So what is Deadly Premonitions exactly? Sandbox Survival Horror would probably best describe it. Now true, it will probably be more on the horror side and less on the survival side of the coin. It would have to be a pretty crappy sandbox setup if your MC was running low on supplies continuously. And sandbox horror sounds like a 3 year old getting his head stuck in a bucket. So I'm going with Sandbox survival horror unless the game proves otherwise.

Also of note, The production director Swery (that's it? Swery? No last name? ..... Seriously?) had this to say on the promotional site.

Swery: "Another feature I want you to try out is "Stalking.""

note: Almost shat myself laughing when I read that. Probably because I pictured Swery bolting upright from a dead sleep screaming "They won't know Unless I tell them! All that work for nothing!!"

Ok put the pitchforks and bullhorns down, and put that nearly broken soapbox away. Not JP-ERO-GAME stalking. He means Shenmue Stalking. You know, following characters around to see what the developers programmed them to do.

Now I'm not looking forward to being a virtual voyeur (that got old quick in Shenmue) but there is something neat about characters following a schedule. It worked semi better in Fallout 3 and Oblivion then it did in Shenmue. (Admittedly, only in as far as there are way more things to do in the former games than the latter one.) And it does open up interesting gameplay possibilities. (Wow. The old man who shows up to eat breakfast here every morning isn't here now. Wonder if zombies got him.) but that of course assumes you'll pay attention to these details.

Speaking of details. You apparently need to shave and change clothes in this game as well. Lest you become a smelly, hairy vagrant nobody wants to talk to. Which sucks, when you consider you are supposed to be a detective solving a murder case. (Oh did I forget mentioning that? sorry XD)

But most importantly, At least for me. Is it's $20.00 price tag. And 20 bucks is good enough reason to try out something new. Be back on the 23-24th with my first impressions on this. (feb. 23rd release)

No comments:

Post a Comment